What are the CodeGuard Backup Features and Why Do You Need It?
CodeGuard is one of the most recommended automated backup tools available in the market. In this article, we cover all of the commonly asked questions and queries about CodeGuard so that you can make the right decision.
What is CodeGuard
CodeGuard is a fully automated website backup service that gives you complete protection against data loss and malware. It stores the backup data on the third-party cloud platform and features a one-click restore function. CodeGuard uses a 256-bit AES key to encrypt the backup files. It also continually monitors website and notifies you whenever it observes any changes. With the monitoring capabilities, no additions, modifications, and deletions can slip through your eyes, and you can get early alerts to notify you when unwanted changes take place.
CodeGuard backups involve a four-step process to work to its full potential with your website.
- Connecting with the website: The simple process requires some of your credentials to get connected to your website.
- Creating backups: After creating an initial backup, CodeGuard tracks for any changes made and stores the files on the cloud. You can configure the settings as per your needs.
- Monitoring: Once configured, it monitors the slightest changes made to your website and notifies you instantly. Additionally, it notifies you for any viruses, malware or Trojan threats on your website.
- Restore: It provides a repository of backups to choose from, so, you can restore to a previous date without any hassle.
Why Do You Need Backups For Your Website?
- Increased cyber-attacks: Various research suggests that the number of cyber-attacks is increasing every year. In fact, every 0.65 seconds, a new website is compromised by malware. Virus attacks and other security breaches by hackers for sabotaging your business reputation can do a lot of damage.
- Monetary Loss: This is true, especially for e-commerce or business websites. Going downtime even for a few seconds can cause a huge economic loss for the company. Backups can help in the restoration of websites in an easy manner.
- Hardware and software failures: Backups can prevent data loss during hardware failures. Sometimes, even during software updates, unexpected things can happen and can block you from accessing your data.
Why do I need CodeGuard?
CodeGuard provides an independent offsite backup solution for your website along with daily monitoring to ensure your website is online and malware free.
With CodeGuard Website Backup, your website is backed up daily and if disaster strikes, you can restore your site to a previous point in time at the click of a button.
How does it work?
CodeGuard takes daily automated snapshots of your website. Using these snapshots, you can restore your entire site or a specific file to an earlier version at any time.
Once the CodeGuard is successfully connected to the server, it’ll automatically take the backup of your files and databases on a daily basis. It also has a plugin available for WordPress sites. You can access the backup files anytime you want from CodeGuard’s dashboard. It has an easy one-click restore option too.
What if I run out of storage?
Switching plans is easy! You can upgrade and increase your disk storage allowance in just a few simple clicks via our client area.
Where are backups stored?
Backups are stored on Amazon Web Services Simple Storage System (S3) which provides market leading resilience and redundancy for your backups.
Do I need to buy space on AWS to store CodeGuard’s backup files?
No! CodeGuard offers FREE space on AWS. The amount of storage space varies for the different plans. The minimum space offered is 1 GB with the basic plan, and the maximum space is 200 GB offered with the business plan.
What is File Change Alert Monitoring?
CodeGuard can monitor and notify you by email when your website changes to alert you to new threats and malware.
What happens if my site gets infected?
With CodeGuard’s daily snapshots, if your website gets attacked, you can restore to a previous uninfected version at any time.
Does CodeGuard backup databases?
Yes, databases can be backed up also. Database backups are supported for MySQL and MSSQL databases.
How to encrypt backup files with CodeGuard?
CodeGuard will automatically encrypt backup files. You don’t need to follow any manual procedures or write any additional codes to encrypt your backup files. CodeGuard uses a 256-bit AES encryption key to protect your backup data.
How long are the backups stored in the CodeGuard account?
By default, CodeGuard retains the backup files for 90 days. However, you can manually set this storage time from its Backup Retention Settings section under the Account Settings tab.
Why is the backup file size smaller than my actual site?
While your concern is understandable, there’s nothing to worry about. The difference in size is because CodeGuard compresses backup files and databases so that they occupy lesser space on the cloud.
Will I get a free Malware detection tool with CodeGuard?
Yes. All CodeGuard plans come with a free MalwareGone scanner. This tool scans your website for malware on a daily basis. If it finds any, it removes the affected file(s) before taking the backup. CodeGuard’s malware scanner is more efficient and reliable because it already has the previous version of your files to compare it to. So, when it removes an infected file, you won’t be in a helpless situation after losing an important file because you already have the previous (and unaffected) version of it.
Features of CodeGuard
CodeGuard is more than just a backup tool. It has numerous features that it has patented overtime to provide you with a one-stop solution in website security.
- MalwareGone: It’s a malware cleanup tool that automatically scans and fixes any threats on your website. It instantly notifies you through ChangeAlert email notifications for any such malicious attempts, and you can remedy the situation with just a single click. Without the use of the CodeGuard backup tool, most of these viruses and malware can go unnoticed and can compromise the security of your website.
- Automatic Website Backup: CodeGuard for website backup works much like a GIT Repository system. Automatic backups are created for any changes made, giving you the option to restore your website to the previous state.
- CodeGuard Daily Monitoring: It monitors your website every day for any changes, and then notifies you instantly. It is helpful for businesses, both big and small, who can concentrate on other aspects of their business.
- Easy setup: Setting up CodeGuard requires no prior knowledge. You just need to connect your SFTP and MySQL database with the CodeGuard and let CodeGuard do the rest.
- Infinite Backups: CodeGuard gives you the option to decide the time for which you want to store backups. The default setting is for 90 days but can be changed to store the data infinitely or permanently.
- Website Restore: With CodeGuard, you can easily download the contents of your website to your personal computer. The Zip file can then be easily uploaded to restore any previous version of your website.
- Mobile Access: CodeGuard backups for your website can be accessed from mobile devices as well.
- Encryption: CodeGuard backups are encrypted with AES 256-bit technique, which means hackers won’t be able to comprehend your data.
- Website migration: CodeGuard allows seamless migration from one website to another.
Benefits of Using CodeGuard for Website Backup
- Convenience: With CodeGuard integrated with your website, you don’t have to keep a reminder every time you need to take backups manually.
- Accessibility: CodeGuard, being cloud-based, allows you to access your backups remotely from anywhere and anytime.
- Affordability: As with most cloud services, CodeGuard is a cost-effective solution for the features it provides. It eliminates the cost of purchasing physical hardware and drives.
- Security: With AES 256-bit encryption technique, your data enjoys enhanced security.
- Data versioning: All backups are stored with version information attached, so you can restore your website with any version you like.
- Reliability: As mentioned previously, CodeGuard allows you to restore instantly, thereby avoiding downtime for your website. Higher uptime score for your website ensures enhanced user experience.
- Resource management optimization: With automated backups, you get the freedom to optimize your resources for other aspects of your business.
CodeGuard is a ready-made server that can keep track of all changes made to your web site. In conventional “Backup Mode”, CodeGuard can capture your existing live site daily, weekly, or monthly. Storing each sweep as a different version.
A good website backup plan includes backing up all the data to a location where it is easy to maintain, manage and restore when needed.
Also it’s all automated and super smooth. Try out CodeGuard today and experience what so many people have been appreciating.
Regular site backups are the best insurance policy you can purchase for your web based business.
That’s all. We hope you found our CodeGuard article helpful.
With our Cloud Hosting plans, you can also integrate CodeGuard Website Backup to enjoy all the benefits. Ensure the perfect security partner for your web hosting infrastructure with robust backup, automatic restore, reliability, and cost-effective plans from CodeGuard.